My name is Renee and I am a procrastinator.
It took me many years to realise that this was what I was doing because I am busy, busy, busy.
Here are some clues that you too might be employing.
- I would rather clean the house, hang out/bring in washing, emptying the dishwasher etc.
- big fan of comprehensive lists and making them 'look' good...very important.
- I am on the highest contributor level of Trip Advisor
- I'll just get all these other little jobs out the way and then I can start THE job.
- buying stationery, gotta love new stationery, it's a clean slate, a new start for THE job.
- really anything but the THING that I should be doing, the THING that keeps me awake at night.
So, why do I procrastinate? is it fear, fear of failure, not living up to MY standards, fear of success? I do not think in my case it is laziness, but maybe selective actions and by keeping busy I can justify that I just didn't have time.... don't do it - can't fail. Taking no action is however failure... eek, I have found myself out.
Right, now how do I stop? Anyone can call me on it, if you see me ask me what I am doing, then ask me what should I be doing...but you all can't follow me around. I need a self moderating way of kicking my own butt, but it cant involve lists, they are a form of stalling. Maybe I need to section my time and have a single goal focus per day and stick at it till done, ignore the calls from family "I'm hungry" "can you pick me up" "I stubbed my toe" and all the other things apparently I have made myself available for over the years.... under the title of Problem Solver Extraordinare (self proclaimed of course).
So here I sit, still not doing the THING I should be doing and half the day has gone... my name is Renee and I am a procrastinator.